What is a “unicorn”?
Do you want to help people end unbearable marriages, heal their families, and find hope for the future again, without sacrificing your personal life and sanity? We are not your typical law firm. While we are growing fast, we will do it without sacrificing our team or our client relationships. We need a Senior Attorney who can hit the ground running to provide our current, and future, clients with outstanding representation. To be considered, you must have strong research and writing skills, documented, and extensive trial and motion practice experience.
This position offers a respectful team culture, opportunities for professional development, opportunities for performance-based bonuses above your minimum requirement and origination bonuses, plus benefits. Because we care about your sanity and mental wellness, you should not be billing 25% of your annual requirement in the last month of the year. We want you to have a life outside of work to enjoy time with your family and friends. We have strict rules about after-hours contact from clients and it is a firm policy that personal cell phone numbers are not given out to clients or opposing counsel.
- Develop legal strategies and advise clients regarding their best legal interests, serving as the principal contact between the Firm and the clients.
- The Senior Attorney may delegate to Junior Attorneys, Paralegals and Legal Assistants to accomplish these tasks, but remains responsible for ensuring the timely and professional completion of the work.
- Provide high-level strategy and support on complex Family Law cases which include highly contested custody matters and complex financial issues.
- Engage in full-service Family Law services, which include divorce, parentage, child support, spousal support, domestic violence restraining orders, and division of assets.
- The Senior Attorney is responsible for conducting discovery, providing high-level legal research support when needed, drafting and reviewing complex pleadings and motions, conducting pretrial hearings and conferences, motion hearings, Evidentiary Hearings and Family Law trials.
- While there may be opportunities to work remotely, this is NOT a remote position.
- Applicant should have significant experience overseeing Family Law cases from start to finish, representing clients in mediation, depositions and have extensive first chair experience representing clients in all Family Law matters in Court.
- High level legal research and analytical skills are essential. The position requires intimate familiarity with Local Rules, Family Code, California Rules of Court, Civil Rules of Procedure.
- Personality, character, intelligence, and integrity are extremely important considerations. However, the right fit, willingness to learn and team oriented attitude are equally important qualities.
- Applicant must have steadfast negotiation experience and skills to keep our clients out of Court and then be able to provide exemplary representation when unsettled issues must be litigated.
- High-maintenance, humorless, self-entitled or self-important individuals will not succeed in this position and need not apply.
- We pride ourselves in helping our clients make informed decisions about their case. We take the time to answer any questions they have about the legal process, terms and consequences. This cannot always be done in email and requires a phone call or an in-person meeting. If you do not see value in communicating directly with clients or explaining simple answers to clients, who we work for, our firm is not a fit for you.
- If you’ve only tried a handful of cases with witness testimony, please don’t apply for this position. Real world trial experience is a mandatory requirement for all candidates. This is not an on-the-job position.
- Applicant must be licensed in California and have no negative reporting on their law license record, no pending investigations or pending matters before the State Bar Court.
- We do not bill a client 0.2 if we think about them while getting coffee. We do not bill a client when we leave a voicemail message. If there are five people copied on an email, five people do not bill to review that email. We allow “No Charges” on our bills. If you intend to meet your billable requirements by what we consider unethical billing, according to OUR standards, we are not the firm for you.
- Familiarity with the following programs is helpful, but not required if you are a fast learner and technologically savvy: MyCase, Essential Forms, Slack, Monday.com, Lawmatics, CFLS DissoMaster Suite of programs, Microsoft Office, CFLS MSA Program, Attorney’s Briefcase, Microsoft Teams, Zoom.
- Certified Specialists and solo practitioners are encouraged to apply.
- We are growing, and you will be called upon to wear many hats. We need someone who does not think that the occasional need to scan your own documents or build your own trial binders is “beneath you.”
The firm pays for HMO Kaiser Health Insurance, Dental, Vision, Acupuncture/ Chiropractic, Life Insurance & Long-term Disability Insurance for employees only. Dependents can be added to medical at employee’s expense. 10 days accrued vacation for the first five years and 15 days after completion of five years of employment. There are 10 paid holidays that the firm is closed for. Eligible for retirement, and firm matching, after three years of employment.